Posted on 1 October 2013 - 04:28pm Last updated on 1 October 2013 - 04:57pm
MELAKA (Oct 1, 2013): Melaka has recorded 6.8 million domestic and foreign tourist arrivals during the first six months of this year, from 6.7 million in the corresponding period last year, Chief Minister Datuk Idris Haron told the State Assembly today.
He said the state was targeting new markets, like the Middle East and Africa, with efforts being made to attract more tourists from the affected countries to come to Melaka.
"The (state) government is confident of achieving this year's target of 14 million tourist arrivals, compared with 13.7 million last year," he said in his motion of thanks on the speech by the Yang Dipertua Negeri of Melaka, Tun Mohd Khalil Yaakob when opening the Melaka State Assembly sitting.
He called on all quarters to play their role to achieve the target and not to politicise issues, like the case on the closing of Jonker Walk which was aimed to reduce traffic congestion in the area.
Idris said efforts were also being made by the state government to attract more investors and negotiations were in progress with giant companies, like Microsoft and Guardian, to get them to invest in Melaka.
The state government is also discussing with a company from Spain to build a renewable energy plant, involving investment of RM2 billion, he added.